Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Failure in the job force

After I left the restaurant I got a full-time job at Target cashiering. The pay was horrible, but the people were very nice. I liked the work, but it required me to get up very early in the morning. Something that is hard to do when you are depressed. I quit after a month.

After Target I started serving at another restaurant. The people I worked with were nice, but the management was very poor. It was a frustrating place to work. The money was up and down. Some days I would make a lot and other days I would work 10 hours and leave with 50 dollars. The commute to work was about a half an hour which is a far way for me to travel. I quit after 3 months.

After the restaurant, I got a job at a liquor store. The pay was terrible and the work was boring. They could only give me 9 hours a week. I left after 2 weeks.

I got a job at another restaurant and went through a very intense training. I loved the job and the people and the management was excellent. It was a far commute, but I was making excellent money. The uniform required was all white and at the time I was 100 pounds overweight. I was very self-conscious and felt fat all of the time. I wasn't taking care of myself. Customers complained that I had dandruff and body odor. I left the restaurant after a month and a half.

I continued to work with my client, but my performance began to slip. I was forgetting to do my paperwork and I was just not showing up half of the time. Eventually my client's mother wrote a complaint letter to my boss and I was fired a few days before Christmas. At this point I had no job.

I applied to many jobs, but nobody was interested. I went on a series of interviews that didn't go very well. I became frustrated and angry. I couldn't even get a job at a fast food restaurant. I had no good references from my jobs in Boston. All the references I had from Pennsylvania I had either lost touch with or they had moved away. I could not find work. My self-esteem suffered as a result.

No comments: