Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A new start in Boston

I moved in with my Aunt and Uncle in Boston. The first few months I didn't work. My family paid my bills and I spent my days going to various therapists and doctors. I eventually got a job at a seafood restaurant as a server. I was asked to leave on my third day because they said my energy level was too low. I was on several medications at this point and it was difficult to stay alert.

My second job was as a personal trainer. I worked there for a week and they told me that I wasn't energetic and knowledgeable enough and I was asked to not come back. My third job was at a women's sportswear store. It was frustrating because I was working for people who were younger and less experienced than me. It was during this time period that I meet my boyfriend.

My boyfriend and I met at a First Aid class for my other job. I had been working with a male with autism for a few months. The pay was very high and I adored the man I worked with. He was like a son to me and I was very protective of him. After the class was over, my boyfriend asked me if I would like to get together with him sometime. It turned out that we both worked at the same mall and had just never come across each other.

After our first date, my boyfriend asked me to go steady with him. I accepted and he treated me like a queen from that day on. I would come to work and there would be flowers and teddy bears waiting for me. He wrote me romantic cards and took me to nice restaurants. We got along very well and not only were we lovers, but we were also best friends.

After 2 months of working at the mall, I left the store to work at another restaurant. I left because I needed more money to pay my bills. After a month of working at the restaurant, my boyfriend proposed to me. I accepted and we became engaged. I had only known him for 2 months, but I knew in my heart that I belonged with him.

We got married 4 months later in December. It was a simple ceremony at the courthouse. My parents didn't come. I didn't have a bridal shower and I received no wedding gifts. My Aunt anf Uncle kicked me out of the house a month earlier, so I had rented an apartment that my husband and I were going to move into.

A month after marriage, I tried to kill myself. I overdosed on my medication. A few minutes after I took the pills, my heart began to race and I got scared. I called my husband who was out with friends and told him to call 911 and to come home. He raced home. The police came and thought I had overdosed on crack. They searched my apartment for drugs as I sat there with no pants on wanting to sleep. The EMT was yelling at me to stay awake.

I was rushed to the hospital and after about 10 hours I was admitted to the psych ward. My parents did not come and see me, but they did call everyday. My Aunt came to visit and my in-laws and husband visited everyday.

The hospital was not as nice as the one I was in before. The people weren't as helpful and the groups weren't as enlightening. I was released after a week and sent home. I quit my job at the restaurant and continued to work with my client part-time.

No comments: